Friday, May 20, 2005

Pogo to Pokemon

Pogo=>Pokemon=>WWE=>AOE=>F-1=>UEFA=>Cricket=>Chess
Age of Innocence (Age:2years and above)

I started crawling when my rhyme CD stopped playing "London Brige is falling down" .
The TV remote until that time was just another toy that gave a red light when I pressed a button, I always tore it apart and it became the most untouchable gadget in my life).
My first summit expedition was climbing on the 3-feet sofa. My relentless efforts after many falls and shoves ended triumphant, as I laid my hands on the television tuner. Trial and error (I have done more reliability tests on the television set than the manufacturer claims!) resulted in my discovery of Cartoon Network, Pogo, Disney. My face animated more than the cartoon character on screen. I slowly started picking up names. I was well versed with Mickey, Tom, Jerry, Popeye, Flintstone et al. Infact I knew more characters and programs than my amma's favorite weeping characters in TV serials. But my characters never cry, they all laugh.

Age of Discovery (Age: 6-9)
I now knew more about the TV than anybody at home. I knew the weeping-tamil and malayalam serials my amma watched. My father always watches a group of loud men arguing for hours on a channel which had red color. Earlier I never used to be scolded for watching TV. Now, amma shouts at me, my father says TV watching is bad for my eyes (they never told me that when I was watching cartoon's, Infact I remember my mom telling all my neighbours how nicely I watched cartoons, and how intelligently I said their names). How times have changed, now she does not boast about my TV watching capabilities. I have to finish my homework before watching TV. I never miss Pokemon, Popeye, and Super Heroes. Now I like Pikachu, Spiderman, Batman, and all fancy dress super heroes who fight villains. I will never mind watching Harry Potter the 150th time, like my amma who watches the 568th episode of the serial which I have grown watching and I fear will continue to do so till the end of my life. I sometimes fancy all my favorite Pokemon characters coming out of the 29 inch television set every night in my dreams. But reality is thrown in with weeping ladies and khadi clad men fighting before a miniscule audience with a mike weaving loud mouth journalist. Life is getting exciting...

(to be continued...)

No comments: